IRPF would like to congratulate the newly elected board members of AREA-UGANDA and thank them for their leadership, which will be instrumental to the success of the association over the coming year. During the last year there have been several new developments and achievements for AREA-Uganda:
- AREA-Uganda is continuing to grow and now has over 271 members. Many new members joined in 2013.
- The association has successfully organized monthly meetings in which members freely expressed their concerns on real estate issues affecting them, and provided a platform for sponsors to market themselves to the members present. Meetings have featured wonderful guest speakers representatives of organizations whose collaboration with AREA-Uganda is crucial to the association’s success. Some of the monthly meetings are highlighted as below:
- January 25, 2013- On Interest rates and their effects on the real estate business which was hosted at course view towers by Regus international with the guest speaker being Mme Kunihira Gloria from Stanbic bank.
- February 28, 2013- On land informations systems which was sponsored by Bageine and company at Fairway hotel Kampala, the guest speak being Mme Nadege Orlova from Ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development.
- March 28, 2013- On property price indices hosted and sponsored by Simba properties limited at Protea hotel Kampala with the guest speaker being Mr Ronald Ssombwe, a senior statician at Uganda Bureau of Statistics and another major speaker being Mr Patrick Bitature of Simba properties and Protea hotel.
- April 26, 2013- On property insurance that was held at Fairway hotel, sponsored by AREA-UGANDA, the guest speaker being, Mr Richard Tumuhaise from the Uganda Insurers Association.
- June 28, 2013- On relevance of proper PHYSICAL AND URBAN PLANNING of both public and private areas to the real estate agents and stakeholders that was held at fairway hotel Kampala sponsored by AREA-UGANDA with the guest speaker being Mme Rebecca Ssabaganzi, the district Natural resource officer of Wakiso District as well as Ruth Nakatudde, Senior Physical Planner Wakiso district
- August 30, 2013- On Property tax and VAT on land sales held at fairway hotel Kampala sponsored by Cannansites ltd with the guest speaker being The Assistant commissioner, Domestic tax department of Uganda Revenue Authority.
- The Association participated and organized a football match with Makerere University Real Estate Student’s Association (MURESA) on March 15, 2013. The event was co-sponsored by MURESA and Roof tech International.
- The association participated and was represented at the SME event organized by PSFU at the UMA showground from March 21st -23rd, 2013 and was awarded a certificate.
- The association in collaboration with MUBS organized and trained several participants on the Real estate brokerage and sales skills training held at MUBS annex for five days from 4th-8th June 2013. The participants were awarded certificates on the June 28, 2013 monthly meeting.
- A Training Workshop on Real estate agency bill and the national inception policy sponsored by HOUSING FINANCE BANK was successfully held at IMPERIAL ROYALE HOTEL, Kampala from on 26/July/2013. Over 55 participants (up to date members of the association) plus others from other institutions attended the event. The Ps MLHUD, Ag commissioner MLHUD graced the occasion and promised that the Ministry will ensure that the bill will be passed by the end of the year 2014.
- AREA-Uganda in partnership with International Real Property Foundation (IRPF), Women Council of Realtors (WCR), Uganda Investement Authority (UIA), Uganda Broadcasting corporation (UBC), Protea hotels, Ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development and many others organized the Second Annual Real Estate Conference and Expo on “Unblocking Uganda’s real estate potential” at Protea hotel from 15th-16th Nov 2013. The conference attracted many companies and participants for both the exhibition and the conference. It had key note speakers among which include: Margo Willis- Past president of the WCR as the Main speaker, Hon. Daudi Migereko of MLHUD who opened the conference and expo, Hon. Agnes Kalibbala, Director of Lands, Housing and Urban Development and the National Housing and Construction, Mr. Kunar Karia, Director of Property Services, Nationwide Properties, Dr. Louis Kasenkende, Deputy Governor, Sylvia Luchini, Managing Director of IRPF, Mr. Dennis Obo of the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Sonia Sinha from Keyes Company of Realtors-Miami, Moderator Harriet Mucunguzi, Property Manager of the National Social Security Fund, Jennifer Ober, Chief of Party of USAID SAFE Program. To close the conference and expo as well as celebrate accomplishments there was a cocktail, sponsored by one of the Uganda corporations, in which Hon. Agnes Kalibbala read a message from the Minister of Housing and Urban Development. Building on this momentum, AREA-Uganda and IRPF have already started reaching out for support of the next annual conference.
Meanwhile, AREA-UGANDA will continue to develop its initiatives to professionalize the real estate industry of Uganda and promote its members’ business success and the standardization of real estate activities, to organize training courses, research meetings and workshops, and to conduct relevant work on award reviews.
The Secretariat and Board of AREA-UGANDA will do their best to promote the Association and its activities during 2014, but your support for our Association will be very important in ensuring success. The Board would like to remind you to visit the AREA-UGANDA web site for new features such as News, Photos, Meeting, Announcements and Information and much more. We also hope that members will send the news, photos, and announcements and any other relevant information related to the association’s activities as shown on the website to the Secretariat of AREA-UGANDA (E-mail to: email@example.com), so that they can be posted on the AREA-UGANDA website and shared with our all members via email.
With very best wishes,
ASSOCIATION OF REAL ESTATE AGENTS UGANDA
ANDREW MUKIIBI – PRESIDENT AREA-UGANDA
SHEILA KAIJUKA KEBIRINGI – VICE PRESIDENT AREA-UGANDA
Plot 19 Bukoto Street, Kamwokya
P.O. Box 36579Kampala, Uganda
T: +256 312114277